Shall pay to the reader on demand

Ramblings and Musings of a Man Who Toils in a Cubicle and Yet Still Has Too Much Free Time to Think About Pointless Shit and then Write it Down

Friday, May 14, 2010

You wit da gummint?

I'm in the process of bringing back the senatorial splendor that once graced my study when I lived in my parents' house. This coincides with my latest wardrobe trend, that of an ambiguous government-type person. I frequently wear conservative neckties, dress shirts, and slacks, which, combined with the silver Crown Victoria, evoke an image of governmental authority. At times I am tempted to embellish the car's interior with embroidered eagles on the seats, making me wish I had a Cadillac or Lincoln. Anyway, I've put up red damask curtains, moved the desk in front of the window, hung my big gold eagle carving above the window, flanked the window with a U.S. flag and a North Carolina flag, and printed some eagle engravings and put them in gold frames. This is all having to be done on a tight budget, using things I already own or can get for next to nothing (the picture frames came from the Dollar Tree). I've been obsessing over finding a scale model of the U.S. Capitol, which is surprisingly difficult. No one seems to manufacture plastic model kits at the moment, and ebay has slim pickin's. Plus I still can't decide whether such would be tacky. Would a real Congressman have a plastic model of the Capitol on his bookshelf? I don't know. I've had to take down my oddball collectibles and put them in storage, such as model cars, action figures, soda bottles, and such, but it does make the room feel a little less cluttered.

No comments: