Shall pay to the reader on demand

Ramblings and Musings of a Man Who Toils in a Cubicle and Yet Still Has Too Much Free Time to Think About Pointless Shit and then Write it Down

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

As close to public office as I'll ever get

Now that we've completed a ball-busting, pound-me-in-the-ass month at the office, rather than catch up with other assignments, I'm posting a photo of my fabulous home office décor.

















As you can see, it is resplendent in its senatorial opulence. Whenever I enter the room I get the title music from "My Fellow Americans" in my head, but not "Hail to the Chief," since I've given up on approximating the Oval Office like I attempted at my parents' house. Such a project would have to wait until I win the lottery and build a custom-designed house with an exact replica of the Oval Office, which would of course be decorated using the Clinton scheme, given my love affair with the 1990s. The heavy damask curtains and ornate mirror give it a slightly Victorian overtone, which is nice given my Steampunk leanings. I really could use some crown molding, though. Note the eagle engravings in their gold Dollar Tree frames mentioned in an earlier post. My credential of ministry from the Universal Life Church is also framed and on display on the bookcase. And yes, that is an early 1980s vintage Trapper Keeper you see in the mirror. An old friend of mine will likely recognize the Uncle Scrooge figurine on the desk; every senatorial office needs a touch of whimsy. Find a photo of FDR's desk littered with kitschy schlock and you'll see what I'm talking about. That awesome brass double inkwell was obtained for free when a co-worker was giving away a bunch of stuff from her house. It's hard to tell in the picture, but that is a 48-star U.S. flag (not Victorian, I'm afraid, but I always liked the nice 6x8 grid of stars). Alas, the flags are merely suspended from pushpins; eventually I'll have the money to give them proper freestanding indoor poles topped with brass eagles.

The crown jewel of the office is arguably my prized vintage scale model of the U.S. Capitol, proudly on display on the center bookcases. Dating from the late 1950s, its white plastic parts have taken on a delightful warm ivory patina over the years.

















I could actually see using this as a dining table centerpiece. I need to get some LEDs and put them inside. If you're a history geek, this should further enhance the Victorian feel, since the Capitol's famous dome was designed and constructed in the 1860s. Those little medallions are FBI and Secret Service challenge coins. The stupid shit I've spent my money on over the years...

No comments: