Shall pay to the reader on demand

Ramblings and Musings of a Man Who Toils in a Cubicle and Yet Still Has Too Much Free Time to Think About Pointless Shit and then Write it Down

Thursday, May 14, 2009

While I wait for the boss to leave...

I thought I'd talk about my lunch hour strategy. My friends all know how much I loathe being at work all day. I try to be here as little as possible, taking frequent bathroom breaks and such. So one trick to reduce the minutes of my life wasted here is to wait until my boss leaves for lunch before I leave. We don't clock in & out so there's no way for my superiors to know exactly when I've left for lunch. So after the boss leaves, I allow a few minutes for the boss to go to the bathroom or come back for something, then I sneak out through a back door on the other side of the building where I park every day. This way I can enjoy an extra 20-30 minutes off, adding up to a good 1.5-2.5 hours not working per week.

Until just a couple of weeks ago, I had been eating lunch on my lunch break. What a waste of valuable goofing-off time! Preparing and eating lunch takes a good 20 minutes out of the afternoon, time that could be better spent catching up with stuff on the DVR, further adorning my '90s room, or playing with Mr. Shitesworth's costumes. So I've started packing my lunch and eating it at my desk. This makes me look good (working through lunch) and frees up more time to fart around at home. Three cheers for time-theft!

On a completely unrelated topic, I've been feeding my '90s obsession with TV commercials from 1998-99, widely available on YouTube. One particular gem was a 9-minute compilation of every commercial that ran during the series premiere of Family Guy, which aired January 31, 1999. See the video here. I watched this live, waiting up late after the Super Bowl in my dorm room, on my little 13" Symphonic. Of course the broadcast I saw didn't have spots for the local Chicago news or the Illinois lottery, but the rest is so strong in my memory, as if they ran last year. 1-800-collect commercials with Ed O'Neil and Damon Wayans. Poor Bitterman, they picked on him so. The early "Drivers Wanted" Volkswagen commercials. "Do you Yahoo?" And awesome teasers for X-Files: Full Disclosure. Plus the long-forgotten Fox station ID pieces. My god, what a time to be alive. I have downloaded this video via www.keepvid.com to preserve it forever, lest the ogres in the Fox legal department force its removal.

Hope you enjoy it. While you're on YouTube, look around for other great '90s commercials like the Got Milk? campaign ("Aawon Buhw!"), other 1-800-collect spots with Eva Savelot and Max Jerome, P.I., the Volkswagen "Da Da Da" commercial, and of course anything Surge-related. Feed the rush! Sometime soon I'll post photos of my '90s room.

No comments: