Shall pay to the reader on demand

Ramblings and Musings of a Man Who Toils in a Cubicle and Yet Still Has Too Much Free Time to Think About Pointless Shit and then Write it Down

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Just a little update

This past weekend, I rescued the old Compaq computer I mentioned in an earlier post from my parents' house. Everything was there: computer, big heavy monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I'll have to research how to clean old nasty finger gunk off the mouse & keyboard. The contraption is now set up in my study. I also finally got around to putting up the "I want to believe" poster. The room now has a much more authentic late '90s feeling. Soon I'll move the old TV (encased in black plastic, not the silver stuff that became all the rage around 2000) and JVC CD player into the corner. I may locate some period posters to give the room more of a feeling of a student apartment circa 1998-99. I also brought back a few miscellaneous small items, such as a TI-81 graphing calculator, assorted 3.5" computer disks, and my 1997 vintage Advantix camera. Hmm, I just realized I need to dig out my autographed photo of Bill Clinton and hang that up.

To clarify my madness, I'm not re-living the '90s as they happened; rather, I'm constructing an alternate '90s reality for myself, in which I have female companionship, I'm not grossly obese, nor do I wear glasses, and I live on my own. Whether I have a job is ambiguous, since, while I like the income, I miss the more flexible schedule I had as a college student. So maybe I'm in school and have a part-time job. On my '90s days, I resurrect the same fashion sense and taste in music I had back then, which serve as memory-jogging cues for a greater feeling of authenticity. As I have stated before, I don't do the '90s thing every day. For one thing, I don't wish to grow bored with it. Also, I don't wish to lose touch completely with reality. Are you starting to understand why I chose my blog's title?

In other news, my esteemed associate and guest writer Mr. Shitesworth received his replica M1931 riding boots and World War II riding breeches yesterday, and is most pleased with his order. A drawback to the boots is that they resemble wrestling boots, but perhaps some stirrup straps will take care of that. He reports that the boots are also a pain in the ass to put on, as they must be laced up and tightened much like a corset. Anyone who wears Chuck Taylor high-tops can relate to that, by multiplying the trouble taken in lacing them up by 4. Still, he looks quite striking in his riding ensemble, pairing the aforementioned items with a stone-white safari shirt, replica 1912 cavalry officer's belt, and brown fedora. I think he looks somewhat like a rejected costume design for Indiana Jones.

No comments: