Shall pay to the reader on demand

Ramblings and Musings of a Man Who Toils in a Cubicle and Yet Still Has Too Much Free Time to Think About Pointless Shit and then Write it Down

Thursday, May 7, 2009

An Officer and a Gentle-Man

Ambrose Shitesworth, guest writer

In my last installment I mentioned that I had, during my fabulous week-end, engaged in horse-back riding and rather enjoyed it. My bride and I wish to return to the Vanderbilts' estate in Asheville this autumn, where we plan to participate in equestrian activities once more. This time, however, I plan to be suitably dressed for the activity.

You see, dear reader, last week-end I felt I was lacking the appropriate costume for horse-back riding. I had the fore-thought to bring along my black riding boots, but wound up wearing coarse, ill-fitting dungarees for lack of proper breeches. So, preparing well in advance for my next horse-riding session, I set about to acquire garments that suit my fascination with the graciousness of the early 20th century.

I decided that the appropriate costume for riding about a country estate would have a military influence, utilizing the rugged garments and accessories that served the mounted soldiers of the U.S. Cavalry around the time of the Punitive Expedition. Why, you may be pondering, would a gentle-man such as this prefer the Western style of riding over the English style? It comes down to matters of comfort and common sense regarding the environment in which I ride. I am not riding in England, so why make such pretense? Western riding is simply better suited for American estates, at least outside the realm of those contemptible gin-soaked New Englanders. I began researching the uniforms and equipment of the U.S. Cavalry and found a well-stocked online supplier of replica uniforms. My first inclination was to purchase items that closely resembled the appearance of a Cavalryman circa 1916. However, I came to the disconcerting realization that these items, topped with the M1911 campaign hat, would make me look like an overgrown Boy-Scout. God-damn it all! I then asked myself, were I a guest of the Vanderbilts, would a gentle-man such as myself be masquerading as a member of the Cavalry in the first place? Certainly not! The society page would be plastered photo-graphs of my bizarre choice of wardrobe. I opted instead to adopt a riding outfit which incorporated pieces of military issue that comprise an outfit unique to me. I settled on summer riding breeches made of khaki-coloured cotton, M1931 riding boots (anachronistic for the hey-day of Biltmore, but similar boots would likely have been worn at that time), my M1912 officer's belt, and my chocolate-brown sheriff's uniform shirt with matching neck-tie, topped off with a hat yet to be determined—perhaps a fedora, a wide-brimmed number, or my campaign hat. The end result will prove handsome, striking, and comfortable for a pleasant afternoon ride.

No comments: