Shall pay to the reader on demand

Ramblings and Musings of a Man Who Toils in a Cubicle and Yet Still Has Too Much Free Time to Think About Pointless Shit and then Write it Down

Friday, July 31, 2009

I am a Moxie virgin no more

I was at a Fresh Market store yesterday and while perusing the various glass-bottled beverages in the refrigerated case, I came across something I never thought I'd see outside of New England: brown glass bottles of Moxie. Talk about a holy shit moment!

Moxie has been sold as a soft drink since 1884, and before that, like many soft drinks, it was sold as a medicine. It remains popular around Maine. I always thought I'd have to order it online to try it. I've always wanted to try it, so that I may enjoy a very obscure bit of American culinary history. It's definitely unlike any other carbonated beverage I've had. It basically tastes like root beer but with an additional medicinal taste, which most likely comes from the "gentian root extract" found on the label. It tempers sweetness with a little bitterness. I can't say I would drink this very often, but I recommend that everyone try it just once, if only for the experience of it.

No comments: