Shall pay to the reader on demand

Ramblings and Musings of a Man Who Toils in a Cubicle and Yet Still Has Too Much Free Time to Think About Pointless Shit and then Write it Down

Monday, September 27, 2010

Dreary Monday

This is in no way an earth-shattering observation, but Mondays suck, and rainy Mondays suck Phil's ass.

I love my weekends, because most of them are lived the way I would live if I were retired: get up when I feel like it, eat a leisurely breakfast, and keep my jammies on while I watch an unhealthy amount of TV, leaving the house only for an occasional errand. I'm always a little depressed on Monday, because I have to leave my comfortable little nest after two days of frivolity and crank up the grindstone for another 5 days of drudgery. What really makes this particular Monday dreadful is the rain. When the sun hides behind a thick, wet blanket of gloom, it drains me of the will to do anything productive. Right now I want nothing more than to be at home in the living room with my wife and a movie. I did precisely this yesterday afternoon, and it was wonderful. We went out on a few errands in the gray drizzle, and as soon as we got home, I put on my PJs, made some hot tea, and started up Forgetting Sarah Marshall on FX while the rain fell softly outside. How I long to have the means to spend every rainy day in such a manner, only in my stately home in the country.

This past Saturday evening we went to a little get-together at our friend's home outside of town. She resides in her parents' house in a neighborhood that was all farmland not long ago. Instead of going straight to her house, we meandered around the neighborhood a bit. Lots were big, houses were big, and it was all very quiet and bucolic, stirring up the desire to build a large country house not too far removed from the city, which I wouldn't have any need or desire to leave for days at a time, having everything I need and want on the property. We would probably go to town once a week for a fine dinner or to the theater, but groceries would be delivered. I would even have tailors come to the house, rather than go out to a shop.

O! To live the life of the country gentleman! I would have my friends come out for long weekends of leisure and good times, where they would stay in comfortable rooms and arise to a breakfast buffet. We would spend the days loafing about, playing croquet, knocking golf balls around, swimming, and making idle conversation. And on damp days, I would take a stroll through the fields in my Barbour jacket and wellies, returning to find my afternoon tea on the veranda, where I would sit and watch the rain from my dry, comfortable chair.

No comments: